The responsibilities for this position are a combination of Sr. Mechanical Engineer (machine design) and machine design team leadership. The expectation is that an individual in this role will perform both duties as time allows. At times, for large projects most time may be spent leading the design team and at other times most time may be spent designing. The balance will fit somewhere between these extremes. The focus in either role is on providing leadership and guidance in the effort to provide our customers and machine design team with timely, robust solutions while meeting the profit goals of the company.
Leadership of Machine Design Team:
- Manage team to meet financial, delivery, and performance goals as defined by contracts, specifications, quotes, and financial planning.
- Work with the Project Manager to define clear scope in agreement with Sales, Applications, and the Customer.
- Create and update the design schedule and project plan, identifying critical path activities.
- Assess and identify risks, develop and implement risk mitigation plan.
- Ensure all project deliverables are met and supporting documentation is prepared that relates to the mechanical design.
- Forecast long lead commercial item needs and provide this information to the Project Manager.
- Forecast machine design resource needs based on project deliverables and provide this information to the Mechanical Engineering Manager as well as the Project Manager.
- Ensure adequate resources are assigned to all project tasks.
- Perform all duties of a Sr. Mechanical Engineer on projects led by others when time permits.
- Chassis design
- Station design
- Feed System design
- Conveyor System design
- Facilitate or complete the update of prints and redlines/revisions.
- Facilitate or complete any required customer documentation including FDS, SDS, Setup Guides, Operation and Maintenance, etc.
- Maintain appropriate communications with the Project Manager, Mechanical Engineering Manager, and Customer regarding the requirements and progress of the assigned projects/action items.
- Be the primary customer contact regarding Machine Design related topics.
- Visit, confer, and evaluate progress of every design team member a minimum of several times per week.
- Share management of customer expectations with the Project Manager and keep project within scope while ensuring customer is satisfied.
- Provide clear work instruction to team members including Design Tracking Documents and other pertinent information.
- Review the performance of all machine design team members with the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
- Lead team communication meetings on a regular / scheduled basis.
- Regularly communicate with procurement, fabrication, and assembly team members.
- Attend and participate in project GEMBAs.
- Provide written highlights of project progress to Mechanical Engineering Manager and Project Manager on weekly basis.
- Participate in Project Management led internal project status review meeting weekly.
- Participate in Project Management led customer project status review meeting weekly.
- When customer change requests are required, provide complete unambiguous documentation defining scope change, cost, and schedule ramifications.
- Review all project related mechanical designs to confirm:
- Design approach
- Design integrity
- Design consistency
- Lead concept and design reviews or be an active participant when appropriate.
- Create and/or approve FMEA documents.
- Review mechanical design print packages to confirm:
- AGR standards compliance
- Drawing integrity
- Prepare, review, and store all project pertinent information in an organized fashion.
- Mechanical Design Leadership should be transferable on the rare occasion that it is necessary.
- Ensure all business activities are performed with the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrate application of acquired knowledge from Lean training.
- Encourage and mentor AGR employees to achieve optimum performance.
- Take note of prospective projects and inform the sales team.
- Personally, approve selection and purchase of major components.
- Support sales activities as needed.
- Comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and company policies/procedures.
- Keep all proprietary information confidential.
- Accurately charge time to projects.
- This job has no direct supervisory responsibilities. Project team members will be assigned to teams led by this individual. Performance issues shall be handled by the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; risk of electrical shock and vibration.
- The noise level in the work environment is highly variable from quiet office to areas of customer manufacturing where hearing protection is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full-time position, and typical work hours are Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Overtime is on an as needed basis and at the direction of the Mechanical Engineering Manager.
Travel with reasonable notice for project kick-offs, installation, training, and service work. The expected travel for this position is normally 1-2 times per year. More than 1-2 times per year is extremely rare.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or related major/field.
- At least five years of experience as a mechanical engineer, project manager, or manufacturing supervisor of complex automation system manufacturing.
- SolidWorks, AutoCAD, Microsoft products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Teams, etc.) and other engineering related software packages.